Thursday, October 19, 2006

New path and patio

We finished off the compost bin, though I buggered up the photo. Best viewed by shaking your head from side to side vigorously.



During my excavations I discovered that there was an extensive patio under the vegetation in front of the shed. I've cleared a bit of it, but there's plenty more of it in both directions. All it needs now is a seat and not an old crate.



Check out the strawberry plants that were growing along the side of the greenshouse. I salvaged them in the clearout and put them in the weed troughs that had been left. I've placed the smaller runners in pots to establish them before putting them into the plot in the spring.



John (my neighbour) has built a new gate, complete with numbers given to him by his daughters. Much better than the ramshackle affair we inherited.



It was pretty wet yesterday, though there was a bit of sunshine later. I did some hard lanscaping and dug out a new side path.



I didn't want to waste the great soil that was already there, so I dug a trench and threw the soil onto the borders either side. No use getting rid of a hundred years' of fertility.



I did an edge onto the main path too, though the wetness made the main path soft. Laura slipped and gouged the bit of the path next to the edging, knocking a half brick out. I had a sneaking suspicion that they weren't too stable, so I took them all out for the moment. I'll secure them better when filling the path in. Bark chippings looks like the best option.



I've drawn up a plan for the allotment. I'll post that tomorrow.

No comments: