Sunday, November 05, 2006

Door latch

We finished off the wall and put up the door. It's not on a slider any more; we attached it with hinges.




My first photo of the door contained a schoolboy error.



After realising how shiny the window is, I tried again.



The latch is a Suffolk latch, which in true bodge style is slightly too wide for the main door frame. It'll do for me anyway.



The inside is a bit improvised too.



The catch was sealed at the top and bottom, so it needed to be attached right at the end of the cross bar. This seemed a bit of a fiddle, so I took the hacksaw to it and cut the top so that the cross bar would just drop into the catch. I'm pretty pleased with it, though. The next stage is to seal the windows at the side and replace the tarpaulin with corrugated plastic.

I've also cleared the rest of the patio, including most of another sort of compost heap, which was actually more of a lump of nettles. Lots of nitrogen, etc. There's a mini pond next to it too, full of weeds.

No comments: