Sunday, February 25, 2007

Brassicas and dahlias for the coming season

As well as working down at the allotments, I've been preparing a few things for later in the year. The shed/greenhouse isn't quite ready for use as a propagation area (full of wood and some junk still), so I'm still using the house, which isn't ideal. I sowed some brassica seeds on the 16th ('Darkmar 'sprouts and 'Summer Purple' broccoli).



You can see the etiolation from too long in a north-facing room. I moved them to the south-facing kitchen, which has helped a bit. Some seeds are still germinating, so I should be able to show the difference.



I started off some Dahlia tubers as well, by soaking their compost. One is almost ready for cutting.



I'll take three or four cuttings, then put the tuber into the ground.


No comments: