Friday, January 12, 2007

Plants

There are signs of life in some of the beds. For example, some young rhubarb shoots have poked through.



There are plenty of bulb shoots appearing, though I messed up the photo of this one (or maybe the camera did, who knows?). I've got some pots with bulbs coming as well, which I'm going to plonk around the place come spring.



The next bed I'm going to dig over has a small shrubery in it, containing mostly scabby plants that would be better in a garden. There's quite a small euphorbia that I'm going to get rid of and a fuchsia that I'll put in a pot by the gate come summer (assuming it'll survive the transfer). The green blur in the middle of the photo below is the euphorbia.



There's a very leggy lavender that has got very woody. It has some greenery on it, but it's too far gone to renovate because lavender rarely shoots from older wood.



However, I'm going to drop it into the ground and bury it up to the bottom of those shoots with leaves, which should encourage roots to form high up the plant, so I can then detach portions of leaves plus roots and use them as new plants. This is an extreme form of layering called dropping.

You can see the scabiness clearly in this photo.


No comments: